Heath J. Szymczak is a member of the Firm's Litigation practice group. He has extensive litigation experience in business-related torts, complex commercial litigation, and other civil litigation, including, among other areas, contractual disputes, unfair competition claims, shareholder derivative actions, shareholder freeze-out actions, corporate valuation, breach of fiduciary duty claims, class action consumer litigation, commercial lease disputes, intellectual property disputes, healthcare network provider disputes, replevin actions, construction litigation, estates litigation, lien enforcement, products liability defense, personal injury defense, insurance fraud, and insurance coverage disputes.
Canisius College (B.S., 1994, summa cum laude, MBA, 1995, cum laude), DiGamma and Alpha Sigma Nu Honor Societies; University at Buffalo School of Law (J.D., 1998), Business Editor, Buffalo Law Review.
New York State (1999); U.S. District Court, Western District of New York (2000); U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of New York (2000)
Principal Area(s) of Practice:
Confidential Law Clerk, Hon. William M. Skretny (Western District of New York 1998 - 2000).
Memberships & Offices:
- Chair, New York State Bar Association ("NYSBA") Business Torts and Employment Litigation Committee of the Torts, Insurance and Compensation Law Section ("TICL")
- Member, NYSBA "Faster, Cheaper, Smarter Working Group", which consists of a select team of judges, in-house and outside counsel from across the state tasked with finding creative solutions to reduce costs and adjudication times in commercial litigation.
- Member, Executive Committee, NYSBA TICL Section
- Member, NYSBA Special Committee on Discovery and Case Management in Federal Litigation
- New York State Bar Association; Erie County Bar Association; American Inns of Court
- Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honor Society; Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity International
- Member, Executive Committee of the NYSBA Commercial and Federal Litigation Section; Co-Chair, Section Membership Committee
- Moderator, "Tri-City Judicial Summit: Streamlining Litigation" (NYSBA Commercial and Federal Litigation Section)
- Chair and Panelist, "Introductory Lessons on Ethics and Civility" (NYSBA Commercial and Federal Litigation Section)
- Presenter, "Legal Procedures and their Impact on the Claims Process" at the Law School for Insurance Professionals (NYSBA TICL Section)
- Presenter, Erie County Bar Association Reception for the Erie Supreme Court Commercial Division
- Presenter, New York Insurance Association Mock Trial Demonstration
- Presenter, NYSBA Annual Meeting
- Standardizing Efficiencies in Business Litigation, American Bar Association Business and Torts Litigation Journal
- Limit costs, delays in business litigation, Buffalo Law Journal
- Member, Board of Directors, Mid-Day Club of Buffalo (2012 - Present)
- Graduate, Leadership Buffalo (Class of 2007)
- Vice-President, Board of Directors, Buffalo Alliance for Education
- Board Member, Canisius College Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Member and Committee Chair, Canisius College Pre-Law Advisory Council
- Member, Bennett High School's Law Magnet Advisory Board
- Attorney Coach, Bennett High School Mock Trial Team
- Participant, University at Buffalo Law School Mentoring Program and Moot Court Judge
- American Heart Association Home Run Derby Organization Committee and Heart Walk Team Captain
Awards and Honors:
- Recipient, "2010 Committee Chair of the Year" from NYSBA TICL Section
- Recipient, "40 Under 40" Award from The Business First of Buffalo
- Recipient, "Commitment to Education Community Leader Award" from the City of Buffalo
- Named, "Up and Coming Attorney" by The Daily Record
- Recipient, "Distinguished Service Award for Law-Related Education" from the NYSBA
- Recipient, "Pathfinder's Award" from The Business First of Buffalo
- Recipient, "Key of Hope Award" from Habitat for Humanity of Buffalo
- Named, "Among Our Best" by Canisius College
- Listed, New York Super Lawyers
- Listed, Business First of Buffalo "Legal Elite of WNY"
Leveling the Playing Field: New York’s “Employee Choice Doctrine” Can Improve Employer Positioning in Non-Compete Litigation
Aug-15-2013 — One of the most disruptive scenarios for any company is the departure of a key employee who has signed up to work for a competitor. In addition to the significant emotional aspects of the situation, companies find themselves suddenly vulnerable and facing considerable unanticipated business risks.
Limit costs, delays in business litigation - Heath Szymczak Guest Columnist in Buffalo Law Journal
Jun-26-2013 — The reality is that business litigation is often slow and very expensive. The good news is that companies may be able to do something about it.
Jaeckle Fleischmann Recognizes Attorney Honorees of "Legal Elite of WNY"
Oct-04-2013 — Jaeckle Fleischmann a commanding presence in "Legal Elite of WNY," an annual feature by the Business First of Buffalo. Honorees below were listed in the September 20th edition of the Business First of Buffalo. Honorees include Joseph Kubarek, Robert W. Patterson, Charles Swanekamp, Heath J. Szymczak and Nicole Tzetzo.
Twenty-Two Jaeckle Fleischmann Attorneys Named "Super Lawyers"
Aug-16-2013 — Jaeckle Fleischmann announces that twenty-two of the Firm's attorneys have been named to the Super Lawyers list for 2013. Published annually by Thomson Reuters, Super Lawyers is a rating service of attorneys from more than 70 practice areas
Heath Szymczak Appointed to Executive Committee of the NYSBA Commercial and Federal Litigation Section
Jun-26-2013 — Partner Heath J. Szymczak has been appointed to the Executive Committee of the Commercial and Federal Litigation Section for the New York State Bar Association. He will also serve as Co-Chair of the Section's Membership Committee.
Heath Szymczak Publishes Standardizing Efficiencies in Business Litigation to National Legal Audience
Apr-25-2013 — Partner Heath J. Szymczak’s article Standardizing Efficiencies in Business Litigation, has been published in the American Bar Association’s Business and Torts Litigation Journal. The article describes historical trends, and recent developments, for creating practical, client-centered approaches to avoiding unnecessary costs and delays in litigation, which is the focus of the litigation practice at Jaeckle, Fleischmann & Mugel, LLP.
Heath Szymczak Appointed National Co-Chair of American Bar Association Business Torts Litigation Sub Committee
Oct-02-2012 — Jaeckle Fleischmann & Mugel, LLP is pleased to announce that Partner Heath J. Szymczak has been appointed a national co-chair of the Tortious Interference Subcommittee of the American Bar Association’s (ABA) Business Torts Litigation Committee (Litigation Section).
Heath Szymczak Named to Mid-Day Club Board of Directors
Mar-20-2012 — Jaeckle Fleischmann is pleased to announce that Heath J. Szymczak has been named to the Board of Directors of the Mid-Day Club. Located in downtown Buffalo on the 21st Floor of the Liberty Tower Building.
Heath J. Szymczak to be Recognized by the New York State Bar Association
Jan-06-2011 — BUFFALO, NEW YORK — Jaeckle Fleischmann & Mugel, LLP, a full service corporate law firm announces that Partner Heath J. Szymczak has been named "2010 Committee Chair of the Year" by the New York State Bar Association's Torts, Insurance, and Compensation Law Section for chairing its Business Torts and Employment Litigation Committee.
Heath J. Szymczak to Present at Law School for Insurance Professionals
Aug-25-2010 — Heath J. Szymczak will serve as a presenter on the topic of "Legal Procedures and Their Impact on the Claims Process" at the Law School for Insurance Professionals scheduled Friday, October 1, 2010.